Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The World as Lover

Today, I had lunch with a friend who I have known for more than 35 years.

We were almost lovers back then. But we never made it. I took her to Mexico when we were so young, yet still old enough, in another girlfriends car, and we still didn't quite make it.

Many years later we realized that we had missed that opportunity.

She is a beautiful woman.

While we were talking, and having lunch,

I told her that I was beginning to approach reality

in a fundamentally different way.

I told her that I was beginning to see the world as the Goddess,

That I was learning to love every little moment,

Just like I would love a woman.

I am a man by the way.

We sat outside.

A bee came.

With simple normal communication,

it went on its way.

The World as Lover.

If you treat the World as your Lover,

You may be getting there.

The way we define and delimit the self is arbitrary. We can place it between our ears and have it looking out from our eyes, or we can widen it to include the air we breathe, or at other moments, we can cast its boundaries farther to include the oxygen-giving trees and plankton, our external lungs, and beyond them the web of life in which they are sustained.

I used to think that I ended with my skin, that everything within the skin was me and everything outside the skin was not. But now you've read these words, and the concepts they represent are reaching your cortex, so "the process" that is me now extends as far as you.

I am listening to the new album of Leonard Cohen.

It's called Dear Heather.

Treat the World as your Lover.

Your Lover won't mind.

In fact your lover will love it.




Earthfamilyalpha Content




*

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are doing this blog!
This is one of the best posts yet -- very mystical.

I love Leonard Cohen. Wrote my 10th grade (!) English honors paper on his songs as poetry and got downgraded because I didn't choose a more recognized figure like Yeats. He should be as well known as Dylan by now!

Learning to love is really all there is. Everything else is pretty much just a distraction. Except saving the earth I guess!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Charlie Loving said...

Hmmm.
Love is very interesting it gos through so many phases. It is a constant in life. Love of other people can be most difficult and trying. To love your neighbor is most trying at times, many times I don't love myself and that makes things even more difficult. But I do love nature and the world as a whole it is just the small things that are a bother.

6:39 AM  
Blogger John Hamre said...

Treat the World like a lover? Well I think the people of this World do a pretty poor job of doing that.

1. We take her to lunch and makes her pay for the bill even though she can not afford it.
2. For no reason we seem to get angry at her, although she did nothing wrong, and abuse her without apology.
3. We constantly threaten to break up with her completely but remember we have no other lover to turn to.
4. And we spoil her beauty by polluting her food supply, making her breath foul air, and by making her drink poisonous water.

It’s a wonder she hasn’t called it quits with us and started dating cockroaches instead.

7:38 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

thanks robina, cl, hopstar, and JD.
Leonard's new album is pretty good by the way.

JD, your post is pretty funny. thanks.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this world is your lover, and the observor is the observed, are you not loving yourself?

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful

9:15 PM  
Blogger Charlie Loving said...

The King said, "Why do you not make a plan to save yourself?"
Merlin answered, " Because I am wise, in the combat between widom and feeling, wisdom never wins."
from the Winchester Manuscript The Acts of King Arthur.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home