Sunday, January 30, 2005

Change

We are not educated for Change.

A friend and I talked about it today.

She had just been to a yoga class.

Where the vedantic philosopher said the same thing.

We are not taught how to deal with it.

We think that if we can keep things

the way they were,

that it is good.

I hate change.

I hate it when my hairstylist retires.

I hate it when my lawyer stops working so much.

I hate it when my girl friend goes away.

I hate it when my gardener quits.

I hate it when my battery goes dead.

I hate it when the blog post disappears,

I hate it when I can't explain this extra weight

after I have run 30 miles this week.

I hate it when the restaurant runs out of bread,

I hate it when the new security guard doesn't know me.

I hate it when the gorilla peaks around the corner

and says,

I'm coming for you someday.

And he will.

That probably won't change.

But then,

I find

a new hairstylist,

I use my lawyer less,

my girl friend comes back,

my new gardener is better,

I get a free battery,

the rewritten post is better,

and the lack of bread

helps me drop those two pounds.

And the new guard is a nice guy,

And the Gorilla goes back into the brush.

And the Change

is

good.


I try to get used to it.

Maybe that will change.





5 Comments:

Blogger Urban Denizen #512 said...

The blog has started to tickle me, especially in light of this most recent post by Oz. You mention your vendantic yoga friend, you've mentioned poets, you've mentioned singularity theory, consilience, American icons, international iconoclasts, et al.

The Vendanta, not unlike Whitman's "Song of Myself" teaches that "life is meeting." Taking the full inspiration of the former and the wholeness of the latter, and coupling it all with the other concepts, people and places of the post, you begin to realize that there is NO change. Certainly, means shift. The future will be powered with alternatives, social justice will be heralded by alternative soul fighters, and what little hair you have left will be whisped, cut and combed by alternative stylists (pun intended.) But ultimately, the ends, and THE END, not unlike what was realized at the Dawn of Reason, is the same.

There is nothing new under the sun.

You can fly if you try. Please try.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what it is this gorilla business?

9:39 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

one of my favorite metaphors for "you know what"

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorilla: Death, the one certainty a control-freak cannot control.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorilla: Death, the one certainty a control-freak cannot control.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home