Friday, January 20, 2006

Dreamscape


*
Perhaps it was the announcement that the administration was going to monitor all internet traffic from now on. Or maybe is was when Scotty admitted during the press gaggle that "in order to protect us", the president had the right to do whatever he saw fit.

They reasoned that we may not have any privacy if we are to be safe.

Or maybe it was the way that the Democrats put their talking head pusses on the network talk shows and played hardball by lobbing softballs.

Maybe it was the wire story where it was becoming obvious that these wiretaps were more likely to appear in the lives of those who were against the war and the policies of the administration.

Or maybe, it was after it became crystal clear that these incursions included political opponents perhaps even Democratic National Headquarters. We all said to each other, "Oh, the Democrats will certainly become homo erecti with this", but sadly, they continued to slither on the safe ground of security and war on terrorism ustooism. (yes, even you Howard)

I thought of Ben Franklin and his line about security and freedom.

I thought about my Great Great Great Uncle, who led us in victory from one King George, and later led us by becoming a president who would never act like a king.

I thought about my Dad who never quite got over sinking that Jap Battleship with his torpedo bomber.

I thought about President Eisenhower and his warnings about the Military Industrial Complex.

I thought about the mainstream press and how their ownership had morphed them into the minions of the powerful.

I thought about the guy in Network who shouted that he was mad as hell.

I thought about climate change and the need to act decisively and now.

I thought about peak oil and the oil wars and ruination that it will bring.

I thought about the accelerated advance of technology,

that can either liberate us or enslave us.

And I decided I had had enough.

"Where're you going", said Janelle.

"I don't know. Somewhere"

I walked outside and looked at the beautiful winter day.

It was too beautiful.

More than one person had already brought up the August hell

that would come with a heavenly January like this.

I decided to walk.

And like Eddie I started yelling.

"I've had it. I'm going to Washington. Want to go?"

My neighbor came out and yelled back,

"When are you coming back."

"After I get there," I said.

He looked at me with that look that people give you,

when they realize that their question was not their question.

"Just a minute, I'm coming."

By the time I got to the end of the block,

there were six of us.

By the time We got to another neighborhood,

there were about 30 of us.

By the time we got to really walking,

We were in the hundreds.

When the blogs picked it up,

Others from other cities starting walking.

Like the Salt March of Gandhi,

We gathered together like the small rivulets of the mountains,

but as these mountain streams came together,

we became a mighty river.

By the time we got to Washington,

we numbered in the millions. (Some say 10 million)

There was no room for anything,

no cars, no buses, nothing.

Then, a funny thing happened.

Because all of the politicans had run to their country homes,

and because we had taken so long to get there,

the town was empty of them.

We occupied their offices, and everything else.

And then, as if we were in a Jimmy Stewart movie,

it all changed.

The whole political system collapsed

as if it was the house of cards that it truly was.

Within days, we realized the miracle that had occured.

And we began the real work.

I thought about my neighbor,

and his question,

and realized that none of us were ever really coming back.

"Wake up Max", I heard Janelle saying.

"What baby"?

"You were dreaming"

"And?"

"You were enjoying it too much."

"And?"

"Go back to sleep."

*

Home

What it is About

Earthfamily Principles

Earthfamilyalpha Content II

Earthfamilyalpha Content

Links

LANGUAGE TRANSLATIONS

*art courtesy of Nem W. Schlecht

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. If only, in only. MS

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awake awake. when will we awake and return to the dream

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't until Janelle entered that I realized that it was fiction. It seems pretty real. It is really good - listing the litany of what has occurred - all the losses.

Go back to sleep.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep writing, my friend.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh. I wanted it to be real.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home