Thursday, March 02, 2006

Community or Sociopathy


We have a new contributor to Earthfamilyalpha.

Community must replace sociopathy

We don't have much time.

Hello Oz:

Thanks so much for the invitation to earthfamilyalpha. It is an honor and a privilege to be here.

I was struck by your post on The Soylent Seas . I thought about it the whole next day. Even if we save ourselves from peak oil and global warming, can we survive dying seas?

I do not know.

I only know that the most important question of the last two millenia, if not all of recorded history, remains unanswered: "Can we get along here? Can we all get along?"

We are going to learn how to get along, or we will be toast. I can understand not having the answers, but I don't understand why only Rodney King, and a few others outside of power, are even asking the questions.

I have never truly published, and have advertised anonymously only rarely, but I have sent various individuals various essays on the importance of recognizing respect as a meta-issue since the late 80's. In my file cabinet, I still have copies of an essays referring to "The Problem" that threatens to kill us all, the single thread that ties child abuse in this block to the brink of nuclear destruction to the rape across town to the emissions from our cars and factories into the sky above.

No one refers to "The Movie", "The Book" or "The University" anymore, but "The Problem" is still disrespect.

My point was never that I had come up with any new ideas. My point was always more like, "I know we've talked about respect for thousands of years, but now it's really important, because we're about to kill each other off, basically for lack of trying to get along and work together to solve all the mutual problems created by disrespect."

Or we could keep trying to solve all the countless problems created by persons, organizations, and nations disrespecting other persons, organizations, and nations without really focusing on the root problem. It's worked well so far.

In all those years, I was hoping someone would write back to say that they wanted to help make respect "The Issue."

No one ever did.

Perhaps, because I never used the word "meta-issue" until now.

The force is the only chance we have.

"Specifically, the force of cultural adaptation, the software that runs on our biological hardware. If we can recognize that we are on the brink of catastrophe, and if we can make respect for self, others and place a universal goal, and if we can use all that we now know about ourselves to pursue that goal in a realistic fashion, recognizing the goal of respect as essential to surviving our weapons and our waste, then we might have a chance.

In my humble opinion, The Golden Rule, while brilliant in intent, could have been worded better. The final exam for rewriting The Golden Rule into something that actually works as a lynchpin for society is upon us. We will not make it, if we do not learn to talk about our problems and treat each other better.

We will not make it, unless we give to the respect

Child abuse, terrorism, greed, pollution, mean prejudice, war, rape and the nuclear brink. Disrespect is the problem. Respect is the vision that we need to see."

by respectisthecentralissue on Thu Feb 09, 2006 at 11:00:33 PM CST

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me . . . All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Home

What it is About

Earthfamily Principles

Earthfamilyalpha Content II

Earthfamilyalpha Content

Links

LANGUAGE TRANSLATIONS






6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

give me a litte. Aretha.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Step Back said...

There was a time when a man's honor was more important than the amount of cash in his wallet. There was a time when teachers were the most valued and respected members of our society.

Now cash is king.
And respect is only for the Green.
We have been blinded by the light.
Our greed leads us to the dark of night.
Sad.

8:39 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

welcome respectisthehub.

I hope we hear more from you.

oo) What you want
(oo) Baby, I got
(oo) What you need
(oo) Do you know I got it?
(oo) All I'm askin'
(oo) Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)

Ooo, your kisses (oo)
Sweeter than honey (oo)
And guess what? (oo)
So is my money (oo)
All I want you to do (oo) for me
Is give it to me when you get home (re, re, re ,re)
Yeah baby (re, re, re ,re)
Whip it to me (respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now (just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This craving for position, for prestige, for power,

to be recognized by society as being outstanding in

some way, is a wish to dominate others, and this

wish to dominate is a form of Aggression.

And what is the reason for this aggressiveness?

It is Fear isn’t it? " Krishnamurti



I agree with this. I think that the very essence of life in its subtlest form is aggressive. The beat of the heart, the taking of breaths....Therefore, we are obligated to become the best stewards of our own thoughts, ideas, pursuits in order to learn the practice of respect for others. In learning meditation, I was instructed to clear the mind. The joke is on the meditator. This is innitially only possible for brief moments. But what fascinates is the momentary glimpse of what is left after all those ego driven thoughts (every damn one of them) are briefly quelled. The scientists can do catscans, MRI's, disect the brain, but they cannot explain what this thing called consciousness is.

"Reaching a state of inner freedom as regards

emotions does not mean being apathetic or

insensitive, nor does it mean that existence

loses its colour in the slightest. It simply means

that, instead of always being the plaything of our

negative thoughts, moods,

and temperaments, we become their masters."

Mathieu Ricard

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crazy, but that's how it goes/Millions of people living as foes.
Maybe, it's not too late/To learn how to live and forget how to hate."

by a different Oz.

-FurnitureMan

10:14 AM  
Blogger Charlie Loving said...

The sea may have the last laugh.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home