Wednesday, December 26, 2007

See the Same Way


Generally by now, I am in my little pueblito in Mexico enjoying the vivid blue skys and the escape from the Christmas rush. But this year, instead of going south, we're going East. Not the Far East mind you, but across the pond.

As an energy guy and lover of all things train, I'm looking forward to crossing under the Channel in the "Chunnel" and making the trip from London to Paris in just over 2 hours.

There is so much that we all must begin to grapple with in our society. But in another sense, there is a great deal that we as a civilization do rather well. Much of that is in Paris. And I am looking forward to seeing my good friend Jim Haynes on New Years Eve at the Swan Bar.

And I look forward to meeting and enjoying the company of folks who share many of the same values and philosophies of my good friends in Real de Catorce.

Jim Haynes was one of the first global citizens I ever met. His little book called "Workman of the World Unite and Stop Working" was an eye opener for me.
In his web site, under "plans", Jim says:

"How to make the gods laugh: tell them your plans. Nevertheless I hope the future includes my continuing to live here in my Paris atelier, travelling to see friends, writing newsletters and books, hosting friends, organizing the Sunday dinners, and enjoying every minute of life.

For me, happiness is an intellectual concept, and I decided years ago to be happy. In spite of (and because of) everything, I love life. It has been good to me, and I hope that I have been good to it."

My son asked me yesterday if Jim would be a friend if he didn't live in Paris. It was a fair question.

But the answer can be found in Julie Pecheur's piece the The Paris Times,
Nov .11, Sept 2006,

"To some people, life is great. Fun. Wonderful. Every day. Every minute. These people read the newspapers and see the same clouds as everyone else, but to them, humans are not selfish, arrogant jerks, but rather a constant source of wonder, an excuse to share, the possibility of love.

They admit to a few obstacles along the way, but they think of them as gifts, mere steps to an even better and happier life. Jim Haynes is one of these people. "That's the way I am," he explains, "I've always been optimistic and incredibly happy."

So the answer son, is "yes".

In the face of climate change, resource depletion, the rise of authoritariansim, and the corporate takover of our culture, I still believe that we can come together, and craft a plan, and implement a strategy for the betterment of humankind and ourselves.

Maybe that's why I'm going back to Paris.

Because there is a guy there

who sees the same way.





You're looking at a picture
I'm looking at it too
Do you see what I see today
Let's talk about the difference
Find out what's in the way
Open our eyes, see the same
See the same way

One man saw a healer doing such good, good things
One man saw a sinner by the Holy Sea
Well Jesus and the Pharisees didn't see eye to eye
But the man on the shore saw so clearly

You're looking at a picture
I'm looking at it too
Do you see what I see today
Let's talk about the difference
Find out what's in the way
Open our eyes, see the same
See the same way

I want to be at the meeting,
I want to be in that number
When we all see, see the same,
see the same way

B Hornsby

HOME

What it is About
Earthfamily Principles

Earthfamilyalpha Content III
Earthfamilyalpha Content II
Earthfamilyalpha Content

Links

LANGUAGE TRANSLATIONS

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home