Wednesday, June 29, 2005

An Apology

Yesterday, I was early to a meeting by about 30 minutes.

The meeting was in a small town, so I decided to check it out.

It was one of those main street towns,

where there had been a lot of work and money put into it,

trying to bring it back from the Wall Mart grave.

There was a new restaurant of sorts with TVs and a buffet.

The Southeast Asian owners looked lonely but content.

There was an internet cafe type place, but it was closed.

There was the old newspaper office that said something like "Since 1880".

The old red brick bank building was now a real estate office.

The old hardware store was now an antique store.

It was closed too.

I walked into the Blue Moon something or another.

It was full of a bunch of stuff I couldn't possibly want.

As I wandered through the store towards the rear,

I heard a voice.

"Can I help you?"

With my hands in my pockets and in my friendliest voice,

I responded.

"No Sweetie, I'm just looking around killing some time."

"Well, we are closed and

I'm not your sweetie."

I looked up to see a rather formidable example of a woman before me.

She had on a sleeveless top and her biceps were at least as big as mine.

I thought,

She is right after all, she would never be my sweetie.

I responded,

"Sometimes I use endearments loosely and inaccurately,

And I apologize."

She looked at me kind of hard and I think somewhere in there,

she was pleased.

And I could swear that her countenance changed.

I walked out slowly.


Even though I did not watch the POTUS tonight,

I suspect that he did not apologize,

For carelessly bringing this country to war,

just to secure oil and our other strategic interests in the mid east.

I bet he did not say that I'm sorry,

For the deaths and serious injury of 10,000 troops.

For the deaths of a 100,000 innocent Iraquis,

For the divisive and brutal nature of his administration,

For the tampering with the science on climate change,

For the outing of a CIA agent,

For inflaming much of the muslim world against us,

For allowing our civil rights to be stripped with the Patriot Act.

For stealing our social security and trying to put it in the stock market,

For backing out of treaty after treaty after treaty,

For ruining the good will and eroding our moral highground

by allowing our jails to become uncivilized harbors of indecency

and human torture,

For giving this country to the corporations and their lobbyist.

He could have said,

"I've made a lot of mistakes in the last five years,

and I apologize.

and I'm going to try to fix as many as I can in the next three."

If he had,

Our Collective Countenance would have changed.


Earthfamily Principles

Earthfamilyalpha Content



*

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Loving said...

POTUS was the same as usual. Nothing was said that merits anything but wonder as to how we the family let this happen? It must have been, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" that has driven all this. And what happens when the money barrel is empty?

A general said that only 600 atttacks was better than the 800 attacks last month. Hmmm. The attacks are getting more sophisticated and there is no end in sight. THe Marines still don't have their armor and the body bags keep coming back.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the speech last night either. I did watch the Charlie Rose show later.

The show started with a recap of the main points of the speech. There was a panel of journalists. None of them were clapping.

The read was that the administration is totally out of touch with what is needed in Iraq and that the best they could hope for was to slink out of there by mid 2006 leaving the mess behind.

Slink wasn't their word.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. great. and to think my sister loved the POTUS.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and nothing was said, and of course there was nothing to say.
Nothing new at all.

It is so maddening that these fools just keep telling us everything is fine and not to worry.

This war is nothing but a "runaway bride" to keep our minds off the important stuff; oil, social security, health care, global warming, China, the national debt.....

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very lovely, very sad, very hopeful even if a long shot.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang, this is good. I'm sending it around.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home