Friday, June 30, 2006

Can We Change?


Everything Just Moved

Nothing is in the same place for very long, or ever again.
Everything is moving, expanding, contracting, changing
into everything else --

infinitely dense or fantastically elongated, a cone about to burst.
Physical reality is filling up with living metaphors. There is
uncertainty at the center of our thinking

about where anything is
which means we sort of know, but not exactly, because everything
just moved, which is all right, but where did it go?

And, when things run into each other
something always shatters. There are pieces where there was a whole
which means everything just changed.

It's all right that the fabric of the universe
is like this, but it's inconvenient here, on Saturday, in July.
I'm not convinced I've landed someplace

I want to be. What happened to free will?
I'm supposed to be somewhere else perhaps, but there isn't enough
energy to pull me in any direction,

or at least that is how it feels from here,
on Tuesday, in November. I have a passion to know but can't figure
simple things, like who belongs where.

Another uncertain thing is time --
the way it races off, taking me along sometimes, or not.
Possibly the energy is too dense here

for time or light or particles to escape.
But I've already moved, exploded, broken, and now I'm somewhere else,
and don't know exactly when I'll arrive here again.

It's different than I'd hoped, not what I thought.
Much of what I want is absolutely not here. Possibly I slipped through
a worm hole, which may be metaphor for rebirth --

a spiral one could tumble through
faster than light, land in another reality, and not come back
because there isn't a way to understand

"faster than light in reverse," yet.
Now that I'm gone, I'm exactly that -- not anywhere but here.
And not here either, because I just moved.


©Susan Bright

Susan Bright is the author of nineteen books of poetry. She is the editor of Plain View Press which since 1975 has published one-hundred-and-fifty books. Her work as a poet, publisher, activist and educator has taken her all over the United States and abroad. Her most recent book, The Layers of Our Seeing, is a collection of poetry, photographs and essays about peace done in collaboration with photographer Alan Pogue and Middle Eastern journalist, Muna Hamzeh.

HOME

What it is About

Earthfamily Principles

Earthfamilyalpha Content II

Earthfamilyalpha Content

Links

LANGUAGE TRANSLATIONS

art courtesy of page starwalker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home