Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Rather

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.
Henry David Thoreau

"I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I'd just been myself."
Brittany Renée

On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia
W C Fields

"I see my body as an instrument, rather than an ornament."
Alanis Morisette

The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes,and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself.
William Arthur Ward

Humility is our connection with our own fundamental Being,
which has certain qualities:
Acceptance of what is, rather than complaints of 'poor me' or 'why me?
'Openness, rather than preoccupation with 'me'
Gratefulness, rather than resentment for what has happened to 'me'
Generosity, rather than possessiveness
Modesty, rather than the self-importance of 'me'
Forgiveness, rather than blame of others of ourselves
Trust, rather than insecurity and doubt.
Kabir Helminski in 'The Knowing Heart'

You more often recognize your inadequacies rather than your strengths.
James E. Faust

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.
Sophocles

Choose to love rather than hate,
Choose to smile rather than frown,
Choose to build rather than destroy,
Choose to persevere rather than quit,
Choose to praise rather than gossip,
Choose to heal rather than wound,
Choose to give rather than grasp,
Choose to go rather than delay,
Choose to forgive rather than curse,
Choose to pray rather than despair.

Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical

and immoral.

It is impractical because it is a descending spiral

ending in destruction for all.

It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent

rather than win his understanding;

it seeks to annihilate

rather than to convert.

Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred

rather than love.

Martin Luther King

It is quality rather than quantity that matters.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca


It was a Texas hurricane that swept Dan Rather into the national spotlight. For those who watched him report from the Galveston Seawall that September of 1961, it helped forge a reputation for tenacity that would follow him for life.

"You saw the wind and rain around him. That was the first time a news person stayed on the coast," says Burlon Parsons, lifestyle editor for The Wharton Journal-Spectator, the local Texas newspaper of Rather's birthplace. "That's what I liked about him the most."

What I liked about Dan Rather is this exchange with Nixon in 1974 after
Rather elbowed an ABC reporter to ask a news conference question.

"Are you running for something?" Nixon asked.

"No, sir, Mr. President," Rather shot back.

"Are you?"

Dan Rather is also the reporter who told this country about

Global Warming.

More than 20 years ago.

And remember,

What Miss Knox actually said.

I know that I didn’t type them," says Knox.

"However, the information in those is correct.”


"A tough lesson in life that one has to learn is that not everybody wishes you well. "
Dan Rather

Enough said.



*

4 Comments:

Blogger polit thoughts said...

I had but one brief chance to meet Dan Rather some ten years ago. He graciously lent his voice and video presence to a video we were making about the potential for renewable energy in Texas. He took no fee; he gave us what he still has and what few do anymore - a voice of authority, of integrity, of reason, of genuine curious engagement. He has always served up the information, and let us do our jobs of assimilating the information into judgment. I will miss knowing he is there every night. Without him, I fear we are all a bit more adrift.

6:05 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

well said PT.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that Dan Rather has become the target of the right wing spin machine is evidence enough of his proximity to truth and good journalism.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nice tribute to a great reporter.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home