Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Becoming Conscious

Last night, while drinking my standard Pellegrino and Cranberry at the Bar after my workout, I was visiting with the Bartender.

Bars and Bartenders are wonderful things.

Almost every night I run for about an hour, either around the lake or on the treadmill.

Sometimes I swim or bike, but I would really rather run. I do a little upper body and lower body work, and then I sit in the 200 degree air in the red wood sauna with all those horrible Wall Street Journals laying all around.

Then, I come up from the gym, walk into the lobby lounge, straddle up to the bar with those fancy bottles of 150 dollar shots of Napoleon cognac on the top shelf, and I throw down the first hit of water and fructose which is already sitting there, because the Bartender saw me coming. Then, the water and sugar mixes with the well-earned endorphines from the run, and the two ibuprofens I get from the gift shop, and, as Jack Nicholson says to those desperate folks in the waiting room, "this is as good as it gets".

At least in public.

Well, maybe not.

So, I begin to talk about how so many of us have this consciousness that sort of sits on top of this deep sea of unconsciousness. As my powerful brew of chemicals kicked in, I lectured like a drunk about how we may consciously think we are doing one thing when, in fact, underneath it all, we are actually doing something else.

I gave some examples of how we sometimes go through all kinds of sub behaviors in order to get what we really want even though "consciously" we say we want something else.

I opined how we set in motion this complicated set of events that will get us what we want, and how generally our subsystems will conveniently set it up so that we have been victimized to boot.

I am abandoned, and I was wronged, but I will valiantly survive.

The woman runs away from a made up perceived danger, cracks up, loses her daughter to the estranged real father and ends up free of husband and child so she can be an artist like the mother who abandoned her while being victimized in the process.

The couple breaks up dramatically, both are not guilty, both in fact are victims, and both end up where they probably wanted to be.

This is not very conscious.

But it is part of becoming conscious.

And It is effective.

Anyway, so the bartender says,

"So is this the kind of stuff you write about in your blog?

Because if you write about this kind of stuff,

I would find it real interesting.

And I said, oh no.

I generally write about global issues.

And then I thought.

Well, I do write about the Awakened Mind.

And I do write about the need to mutate the Super Ego,

so that it is acceptable for a healthy mind to imagine a world where

the nation state is just another layer of government,

not some democratic demigod.

I write about changing our sense of identity

from being a Russian or a whatever,

to being a member of this spaceship earth.

And I write about each of us becoming conscious

participants in this magical light show we call creation.

I urge us all to awake from this corporate dominated dream

of super sizing and empire building.

I have even imagined a set of principles

for the Earthfamily.


Earlier in the day, I was visiting with a young potter.

I was showing him that wonderful clip of Eisenhower's last message

to the American Public.

And he said to me.

"With the internet,

the World is becoming Conscious,

The global consciousness is awakening."


Where would we be without Potters and Bartenders?



.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is all too painfully recognizable.

9:57 AM  
Blogger oZ said...

that's pretty much the way the bartender felt too.

I think most of us can see ourselves doing just this at some time in our lives.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Perhaps the deepest reason why we are afraid of death is because we do not know who we are. We believe in a personal, unique and separate identity; but if we dare to examine it, we find that this identity depends entirely on an endless collection of things to prop it up; our name, our 'biography', our partners, family, home, job, friends, credit cards... It is on their fragile and transient support that we rely for our security."

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When we examine our body, word and mind, we try in vain to find anything permanent there. The concept of an individual person is only sane and valid if we consider it to be one single aspect of global interdependence."

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You must learn how to be lucid in all your actions; that is, you must not only be aware of the time, the place, the circumstances, in which the action takes place, but also of yourself, the player, of your body and what is happening at any moment. It is not only a question of seeing things as they are, but of seeing yourself at the same time, and the reactions that take place within you. In other words, you absorb the whole thiing within you and you become complete."

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that ("Where would we be without Potters and Bartenders?) I've been saying that for 9,000 years.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using links from earthfamilyalpha, I often listen to important speeches of the twentieth century including President Eisenhower's truthful "military industrial complex" speech.

OZ's examples of influences of the subconsconsions on lives are, as experienced in my life, painfully accurate. CHF

8:14 PM  
Blogger oZ said...

what thoughtful and well considered comments, thank you SR, MR, SP, OP, CF, and all you potters and bartenders

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful post.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home